- "Use your harpoon and tow cables...go for their legs! It's our only hope of stopping them!"
- ―Luke Skywalker
|Star Wars 40|
|Title||"The Empire Strikes Back: Battleground Hoth!"|
|Cover date||October, 1980|
|Pencilers||Al Williamson; Carlos Garzón; Rick Veitch|
|Inkers||Al Williamson; Carlos Garzón|
|Cover Artists||Al Williamson; Carlos Garzón|
|Editors||Danny Fingeroth; Archie Goodwin|
|Previous||Star Wars #39|
|Next||Star Wars #41|
At the medical center of Echo Base on Hoth, Luke Skywalker is recovering from wounds sustained by a Wampa ice monster. A tender moment between Princess Leia and he is briefly shared before Han Solo and Chewbacca enter to check on Luke's status. Leia and Han argue a bit and Leia kisses Luke in order to make Han jealous.
Meanwhile on board the Super Star Destroyer, Executor, Lord Vader's crew receives the information transmitted by the Imperial Viper Probe Droid. Vader knows that the rebel base is on Hoth and orders the fleet towards that location.
Admiral Ozzel of the Empire brings the fleet out of lightspeed too quickly, thus alerting the Rebels to their presence. As such, the rebels activate an energy field keeping all laser fire from reaching the planet. As punishment for this, Darth Vader uses the Force to strangle Ozzel. He promotes Captain Piett of the Executer to Ozzel's position.
The Empire deploys AT-AT and AT-ST walkers to the planet's surface. Under the command of General Veers, their purpose is to take out the generators that power the energy field. Luke Skywalker leads a squad of Snowspeeders to counter the Walkers while Bren Derlin leads the ground assault.
Han Solo meanwhile, has Chewbacca prep the Millennium Falcon so that he can get the Princess off the planet.
During the ground battle, Luke's gunner Dak Ralter is killed and their speeder crashes into a snow bank. An Imperial Walker bears down on them ready to crush the crippled speeder with one of its feet.
- Darth Vader
- Kendal Ozzel (Only appearance; dies)
- Firmus Piett (1st appearance)
- Maximilian Veers (1st appearance)
- Jess Allashane (1st appearance)
- Bachenkall (1st appearance)
- Tarrin Datch (1st appearance)
- Bren Derlin (1st appearance)
- Toryn Farr
- Gherant (1st appearance)
- Tigran Jamiro (1st appearance)
- Derek Klivian (1st appearance)
- Kesin Ommis (1st appearance)
- Zev Senesca
- Shawn Valdez (1st appearance)
- Kit Valent (1st appearance)
- Atgar 1.4 FD P-Tower
- DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery
- DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol
- v-150 Planet Defender
Notes & Trivia Edit
- This is Part two of the six part adaptation of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- All of the (1st appearance) markers listed under appearances refer to comic book appearances only.
- Luke Skywalker's lightsaber is shown on the cover of this issue, but doesn't appear within the comic itself.
- Behind the scenes appearances of the AT-AT gunners.
- Deaths of Dak Ralter and Kendal Ozzel.
- In the original shooting script, the Rebels had captured several Wampa monsters and imprisoned them at Echo Base. The scenes never appeared in the final drafts however and were not included in the movie. The Marvel Comics adaptation re-inserts references to the Wampas being held captive at the base.
- Artist Al Williamson inccorrectly switches the rolls of Admiral Ozzel and Captain Piett in this issue.
- Rick Veitch provided the illustrations for the AT-AT Walkers.
- Dack Ralter's name is mis-spelled as Dak in this issue.
- This comic book issue includes advertisements for the following products:
- Marvel Comics advertisement
- Spot-bilt athletic shoes (featuring O.J. Simpson)
- Hulk Up – Hulk instant muscles
- Mile High Comics comic book catalog
- Marvel Comics' Fun and Games activity book
- Epic Illustrated magazine
- Toys "R" Us shopping spree sweepstakes
- Hostess Fruit Pies (featuring the Human Torch)
- Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (TPB)
- Marvel Special Edition: The Empire Strikes Back
- Marvel Super Special #16
- Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... - Resurrection of Evil
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - The Special Edition
External Links Edit
- Star Wars #40 at GCD
- Star Wars #40 at Comic Vine
- Star Wars #40 at Wookieepedia
- Star Wars #40 at Comicbookdb.com
This article contains an excessive amount of redlinks, ie, articles that have yet to be created. Editors are encouraged to create articles corresponding to the "red links" shown on this page.