- "All I know is the only time they show up is when someone's about to die."
- ―Michael Garibaldi
| Babylon 5|
The River of Souls
The River of Souls
|Directed by:||Janet Greek|
|Written by:||J. Michael Straczynski|
|Produced by:||Skip Beaudine; John Copeland; Douglas Netter; Susan Norkin; J. Michael Straczynski; Jeffrey Willerth|
|Music by:||Christopher Franke|
|Cinematography:||Frederick V. Murphy, II|
|Edited by:||Suzanne Chambre Sternlicht|
|Distributed by:||Babylonian Productions|
Turner Network Television
|Released:||November 8th, 1998|
|Running time:||94 min.|
|Previous:||Babylon 5: Thirdspace|
|Next:||Babylon 5: A Call to Arms|
Babylon 5: The River of Souls is an American television movie of the science fiction genre. It is based on the PTEN/TNT television series Babylon 5 and is the fourth two-hour feature length film produced for the series. It follows Babylon 5: Thirdspace and is succeeded by Babylon 5: A Call to Arms. The telemovie was directed by Janet Greek and written by J. Michael Straczynski. It first aired on Turner Network Television on Sunday, November 8th, 1998.
In this film, Security Chief Michael Garibaldi returns to Babylon 5 after having been away, where he meets archaeologist Doctor Robert Bryson who has in his possession an orb containing the souls of billions of people. He believes that the captured souls will yield the secret to immortality. A Soul hunter comes to the station seeking to claim Bryson's orb.
|Jerry Doyle||Michael Alfredo Garibaldi|
|Tracy Scoggins||Captain Elizabeth Lochley|
|Jeff Conaway||Zack Allan|
|Richard Biggs||Stephen Franklin|
|Ian McShane||Robert Bryson, Ph.D.|
|Martin Sheen||Soul hunter|
|Jeff Doucette||Second man|
|Wayne Alexander||Soul One|
|Joel Brooks||Jacob Mayhew|
|Joshua Cox||Lieutenant David Corwin|
|T.J. Hoban||Male hologram|
|Stuart Pankin||James Riley|
|Nikki Schieler Ziering||Female hologram|
|Jeff Silverman||Mister Clute|
|Jean St. James||Sheila|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- This film is included in the Babylon 5: The Complete Universe DVD boxset collection, as well as the Babylon 5: The Movies collection.
- Production on Babylon 5: The River of Souls began on April 1st, 1998. Principal filming concluded on April 21st, 1998.
- The events of this film take place in between "Sleeping in Light" (the series finale) and the television movie, Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers.
- The film aired in between "The Wheel of Fire" and "Objects in Motion" episodes.
- This is the only film in the Babylon 5 series directed by Janet Greek. She also directed twelve episodes of the regular series.
- Actress Nikki Ziering is credited as Nikki Schieler Ziering in this film.
- Martin Sheen is the third actor to play a Soul hunter on Babylon 5. The first two were W. Morgan Sheppard and John Snyder, both of whom appeared in the season one episode, "Soul Hunter".
- To make Martin Sheen more recognizable, the Soul hunter makeup was slightly altered from the way it had been applied in the past.
- Martin Sheen was originally offered the role of Dr. Bryson but after reading the script, he asked to play the Soul Hunter instead.